Saturday, October 12, 2013

Justice in Haiti

One of the most difficult things we face as "blans" in Haiti, is understanding justice.  As we look around the world we currently live in, we cannot find a balance.  We struggle to see how anything here is just.  The number one question that visitors struggle with here is, "How was I born into wealth in America, but these children are born into such immense poverty here?"  The thought behind that is injustice.

As I ponder this, I know in my head that God is just and created all people equal.  I know in my head that God cares for these children the same as He does for the wealthiest children in the world.  Yet, how does it make sense that these children go to bed hungry?  How is it okay that they cannot afford medical care for the simplest things, risking their lives because of it?  How is it okay that so many are malnourished, resulting in every malnutrition program in Haiti being at maximum capacity with so many still left behind?  I have struggled through this thought process, and God has reminded me that He is just, He sees, He cares, He knows...He is watching and He has a plan!



Housing going all the way up the side of the mountain


Throughout this struggle over justice in Haiti, I read Psalm 67.  Verse 4 says this, "Let the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you judge the peoples with equity..."  I read that and immediately asked, "But God...how?? How do I show people in Chambrun that you judge with equity? What sort of equity could they ever see between themselves and Americans?"  This is when He showed me how He views justice.  It is so very different from my view, thankfully!  I am so grateful that His justice is relient on Him and not on sinful man.  He told me this, "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." (Rom. 3:23)  So you see, there is justice in Haiti!

When faced with the dilemma of showing justice to people of Haiti, equality between Americans and Haitians, we can only do it in this.  We have all sinned.  We all fall short of the glory of God.  We all need Him.  Only in the spiritual can we find this type of equity.  Only in Christ can we find justice.  What a beautiful picture...from the dirt in Haiti, I finally understand justice in Haiti...I finally understand God's justice.  I pray God shows me countless ways to communicate this in actions and words!


Witchina playing outside of her home in Chambrun

No comments:

Post a Comment