Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Lean not on your own understanding...

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Such a simple verse and one that many kids memorize growing up in  Sunday School. This morning, it came alive to me in light of another passage of Scripture. I read in John 11, the account of Jesus going to comfort Martha and Mary after the death of Lazarus. He tells Martha that Lazarus would live again. Martha responds in her own understanding that she knew he'd rise again at the resurrection. That's not what Jesus meant. But how many times have I been guilty of Martha's perception? I know that I have looked at what God was doing and interpreted the outcome and perhaps intervened, instead of allowing God to carry it to completion on more than one occasion. I pray that is not the case here, as we seek to hear Him - that we would not interpret what God has been doing and will do this week in light of my own understanding, but that we would hear God clearly despite our emotions, thoughts, or maybe even logical conclusions.
Haiti also observes Daylight Savings Time, so I (Gami) awoke this morning at 5:15 with the sunlight. I got up to read and pray, then went on a nice run with Brandon around 6:30. We ran 15 minutes out, then ran back along the dirt road that runs along the NVM campus and by the village of Chambrun. I saw people getting ready for the day, kids bathing in tubs outdoors, then starting their walk to school. I saw many smiles and hands waving, heard many"Bonjou" and saw the questioning look in their eyes of "What are you doing?" I had never stopped to think that the practice of running to stay fit might be a weird concept to the Haitians of Chambrun. After all, they do physical labor as part of their daily routine, which kept their bodies fit and able. Sometimes we run so that we can eat more calories or feel better about ourselves. Do we treat our spirituality the same way? Is it just a task that we just check off the box as having been done that day to feel better about ourselves?  Or is it an integral part of our day and our lives?

1 comment:

  1. Will try to comment again...last time, I couldn't make it work! Anyway, we are praying for God to reveal His will in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS!!! You need to KNOW and to know clearly where you are to be, when you are to be there, and what you are to do! We are agreeing with you in prayer for this assurance!

    ReplyDelete